Thursday, November 3, 2011

pinapeppers.

I don't get Pinterest. I just don't? What am I missing? Maybe at nap time I'll give it another shot. lol. Trying to think is hard with a 20 pounder climbing up your legs saying "dada?".. I'm not giving up yet. And if I hear Rachel Ray use the phrase "diy" one more time I might lose it today. And Lyla won't give me the remote. Oh my life.
On with the show.
I thought I would tell you all about my lovely stuffed pepper experience. It's been a couple weeks ago now.. but you know how I roll.
It all started when I bought green peppers at the store just to cut up and eat with some dip. But Brandon pointed out that he LOVES stuffed peppers and I should try to make them sometime... agh. It just so happened that the next day Brandon's sister Heather dropped off a ton of green peppers cause they had a garden overload. I hear she is the stuffed pepper expert so I asked for a few tips and decided to go for it the next day. Well, I had a lot of running to do that day.. and I had to drop a few things off at Cassie's so I told her my plan. She said her mom is the BEST at stuffed peppers so I gave her a buzz too. After a lot of help from my bff google, Tina and Heather.. and of course some stolen ingredients out of my mom's kitchen.. my masterpiece was on it's way.
here are my hollowed out green peppers. I put a little V8 in them and in the pan.. idk if you are supposed to do that, but I did. lol.

Here is my stuffing mixture. I used gound beef and sausage mixed, a can of diced tomatoes not drained, tomato paste, and long grain wild rice. I also added salt and pepper, garlic powder, and the rice came with a packet of seasoning so I threw that in there too. That's the stuff I could find at home.. I think other people use tomato sauce. But I figured the juice from the diced tomatoes and the paste was like sauce, right? ha. OH I also (obviously) browned my meat before I stuffed the peppers. I just felt more comfortable that way.. I only drained it a little.

Here's what I stole from my mom.

Here's my peppers after stuffing them! I also poured V8 over the top of them. I don't know if that's weird. But that's what I did. I thought it would get the peppers to soften better. From here- I stuck them in the oven at 350 for an hour or so.  Then took them out, put cheese on them, and put them back in for about 10 more.
BOOYA. Looks good right?! they were.


I also had a couple sidekicks.. I can't take all the credit.

What would I change if I made them again??
I would drain the meat all the way. I thought since people made them with raw meat I shouldn't drain it, because maybe it made the peppers soften.. but it was too greasy. I would also use a little more rice and mix some cheese in my mixture. YUM!

Alright alright.. Hope you are all having a good Thursday. What do I want to thank today.. hmmm.
Thank you Kim and Kris for taking over our televisions. Oh good lord.
Thank you street cleaner guy for waking my baby up this morning when she probably would have slept in because it's so gloomy.
Thank you margarita's for making my gloomy day not so gloomy.. no, I'm not drinking yet, but looking forward to it. :)

bu-bye!


8 comments:

Ashley Mitchell said...

I think ya did a pretty good job. The look yummy to me!

Heather said...

Your V8 juice was cracking me up.

I don't really get the addiction with Pinterest either. I mean, I have a page but I hardly ever use it. It's basically just showing people things you find on the internet that you like. And then if people like it, they can pin it to their page too.

Ashley Mitchell said...

Don't talk about Pinterest like that! It's awesome! It's ONE place to put all the stuff you like instead of bookmarking all kinds of different sites! HELLO! :)

Jackie said...

I agree Erin...I don't get it either!

The peppers look awesome!...I might have to steal the idea from you!!!

Christine Pettijohn said...

I love Pinterest and have found some good recipes on there. Those peppers look so good!

Cassie said...

cheese on your stuffed pepppers? never in my life have i eaten them like that. MIGHT have to try it next time.

see you tonight sucka!!

Jackie said...

Cassie...I can't believe you have never had cheese on your stuffed pepper!

Erin said...

It's funny you say That because you and your mom are the only ones who didn't say anything about cheese! You should try it.. it was the best part.. and like I said, next time I'm putting more on em! Heather, me and v8 are tight. And Ashley, some of it I get, guess I'm just not that creative. YOu crack me up. LOl.