Tuesday, July 19, 2011

bananas and cereal and spoons, oh my!

Last Monday was a big day for Lyla!! It was the first time she ate out of a spoon.. why Monday you ask? Well. you see. Lyla is eating an eight ounce bottle and I put rice cereal in it too. When we get done she is still hungry! Did any of you run into this?! And I don't think she takes as good of naps anymore because she doesn't get full enough.. I figured this was the next step even thought the doc said to wait til 6 months. I'll probably get in trouble next time we see him.. but what else was I supposed to do?!
mmmm.. this is good, Mom!
Our first food of choice? BANANAS. oh my she did so good with it too! She loves eating out of a spoon! She gets better at it every time! And last night she ate a whole container of them and an 8 ounce bottle. big girl. maybe that's why she slept for 12 hours?? :)
nana face.
Ok so here's what I want to know. All you mommies out there: when did you start giving your baby solids and what did you start with? And do you have any tips for me?! I am lost on it all! ok, not that lost.. but let me know what you think! :)

4 comments:

Adrien said...

Are you ready for a novel? :)

Evelyn never ate baby food (hated it). She skipped right to soft table food at around 10 months old, and I nursed her until Grace was born at 16 months. Evelyn didn't even have her first teeth until after her first birthday!

Grace on the other hand is several months ahead of where Evelyn was developmentally. She's had two teeth for a while now and loves any and all food we give her! I did follow the 6 month rule, and we skipped rice cereal completely with both girls because it gave Evelyn digestive issues...um, she didn't poop for over a week. Sounds like Lyla did great with it though!

So obviously my opinion is that every kid is different, and as long as things are moving on through just fine then you're good to go. :) I might get flamed for this, but I personally feel that if a parent is having to give extra juice or fluids to help with constipation issues, then it's probably too soon for that baby to be eating solid food. In fact, it can cause food allergies down the road and even potty training issues. So my advice is to keep doing what you're doing, but monitor the diaper situation. :)

Erin said...

Thanks Adrien! I know what you're saying.. making sure everything keeps moving. Lol. Seems to be ok so far! What foods did you start with for Grace? Just wondering!

Jackie said...

Loreli had so many food allergies that we were not able to try all the good stuff till she was about 9 months old and she didn't like any of it so we just went straight to soft table foods because the doc said that was ok....but it took awhile to teach her to eat...she loved her bottle and we she drinking a retarded amount daily!....We only had the problem one time with not be regular and the doc suggest we just give her a little pedilight and it worked wonders....

Lara said...

Our doc said to start with veggies before fruit otherwise its hard to get them to eat the veggies. Also start with orange colored veggies, then move to green. I don't really know why, but it was what I was told. You should try to stick with the same food for a couple days, if Lyla would happen to be allergic to anything it's easier to figure out this way.